Experience The Difference
The WalterLorenz™ Surgical Assist Arm is a bionic, electromechanical arm that enables surgical site optimization. The surgical assist arm was created in collaboration with surgeons across multiple disciplines to facilitate improved surgical access, visualization, intervention, and efficiency in the OR. Scroll below to learn about the WalterLorenz arm's features and impact for surgeons, surgical staff, patients and hospitals.
Gold Winner for the Advanced Surgical Instruments category for the 2020 Edison Awards
Impact of the WalterLorenz Assist Arm
- Surgeon controls exposure, visualization, and instrumentation
- Reduce clutter and personnel in the operative field
- Improve efficiency and overall experience
- Stay ahead of the curve with the latest “bionic operating room” technology
- Reduce staffing burden at off-hours and on holidays
- Faster OR turnaround
- Potential to reduce staff downtime due to ergonomic injuries
Read about Operating Room Safety.Read More
Operating Room Team
- Minimizes ergonomic risks of holding instruments and retractors over extended time periods
- Allows staff to prioritize tasks such as checking equipment, documentation, operating room prep, etc.
- Provides better opportunities for residents to observe and learn
Surgery Assisting Technology Enabled Procedural Solutions
Healthcare organizations are challenged to frequently adapt to changing innovation, technology and service to optimize the patient journey and enhance health outcomes and efficiencies. Our WalterLorenz-Enabled Procedural Solutions compliment your current procedures – constantly evolving to help improve patient care, reduce costs, and enhance both outcomes and satisfaction.
We appreciate the unique approach a surgeon takes with every patient – every procedure. The WalterLorenz Surgical Assist Arm is thoughtfully designed to allow a multitude of instruments to be used depending on what the surgeon requires. Procedural solutions were designed in collaboration with a leading group of surgeons from multiple surgical specialties, whose unique insight and expertise was critical in helping ensure the surgical assist arm's value across a wide range of surgical disciplines and procedures.
To date, the WalterLorenz Surgical Assist Arm has already provided value across surgical specialties including, Spine, CMF, Cardiothoracic, Plastics, Joint Reconstruction, and more. The list is rapidly expanding as new surgeons and specialties are introduced to the surgical arm's wide applications. Listed below are a few examples of the WalterLorenz-Enabled Procedural Solutions.
The WalterLorenz Surgical Assist Arm impacts surgical retraction and instrument positioning in cardiothoracic procedures. Procedures include those such as Minimally Invasive Mitral Valve and Minimally Invasive Atrial Valve.
- The Walter Arm has simple, single-handed instrument positioning – allowing the surgeon to seamlessly work around the thoracic area.
- Allows maximum access and visualization for Minimally Invasive Mitral Value procedures and other procedures alike.
- Improves operating room efficiency and surgeons are able to reposition instrumentation easily to gain continuous exposure of the mitral.
- Ability to connect to various atrial rake and lift instrumentation.
The Walter Arm can transform the operating room through its impact on surgical retraction and instrument positioning in rib fracture procedures. Procedures include those such as Posterolateral Thoracotomy (Rib Fracture), Scapular Retraction and Site Exposure Via Thoracotomy.
- The Walter Arm allows for maximum access and visualization for site access.
- Potential to improve operating room efficiency by the use of a steady holding force for scapula retraction.
- Simple, single-handed instrument positioning allowing for surgeons to access the fracture site
- Connects to instruments such as scapula retractors and Richardson retractors
The WalterLorenz Surgical Assist Arm impacts surgical retraction and instrument positioning in craniomaxillofacial (CMF) procedures – reducing fatigue and optimizing site exposure. The Walter Arm acts as a surgeons third arm, complimenting the surgical team’s ability to improve efficiency and productivity in various craniomaxillofacial procedures. Procedures include those such as Mandible Reconstruction with Fibula Free Flap.
- The Walter Arm provided maximum access and visualization of the entire surgical site.
- Direct connect to Army Navy provides steady retraction and easy one-handed positioning of the arm(s).
The WalterLorenz Surgical Assist Arm supports steady retraction and instrument positioning in orthopedic procedures for Freedom, Focus and Control in the OR.
- Freedom from line of sight issues, facilitating access and site optimization.
- Focus OR staff on the procedure and patient
- Control of retractor placement, holding force, workflow and OR team.
Videos and Procedural Guides
Set Up Video
Total Hip Arthroplasty
Total Knee Arthroplasty
Total Knee Arthroplasty
About Zimmer Biomet
It's not just what we make. It's what we make possible.
Zimmer Biomet innovations help treat disorders of, or injuries to, the bones, joints, and supporting soft tissues. "Your Progress. Our Promise." This is our commitment to collaborate with healthcare professionals to advance the pace of innovation. Together, we allow millions of people to live better lives. It’s our promise to look beyond what’s possible now and discover what’s possible next and to help healthcare professionals and their patients progress to the next level. Every day, we focus on improving musculoskeletal healthcare.
It's all that we do. It's all we have ever done.
Learn more or schedule a consultation with our team: